Tuesday, September 6, 2022

#NewRelease from Karina Bartow: The Story Behind the Story

Karina Bartow is my guest today and she's telling us the real story behind her semi-fictional story, WRONG LINE, RIGHT CONNECTION. Karina also wants us to know that another book that her character Mabel is featured in, FORGETTING MY WAY BACK TO YOU, is on sale for .99 cents at Amazon from September 5-10. Best of luck with the new release and the sale, Karina!

The Real-Life Love Letters Behind a Semi-Fictional Love Story  

Most authors would shudder to be accused of plagiarism, much less admit to it. In regard to my new novel, however, I’d proud to recognize that I had a little help from some old friends. Wrong Line, Right Connection is inspired by dear friends, Mabel and Roy, who were the first to meet me right after my mom and I were released from the hospital. Throughout my childhood, they—especially Mabel—became like grandparents to my sister and me.

Sadly, Roy passed away before I was two, so I don’t have very clear memories of him. Mabel, on the other hand, lived until just after I turned fifteen, and because of the time we spent together coupled with her firecracker personality, I remember her as if I saw her yesterday. Even at my young age, I already had my sights on being an author, and I often teased that I’d write a book about her one day. 

That talk gained momentum when we were going through some of the belongings she willed us, and we found a stack of old love letters Roy had written her while they were dating. I don’t recall much about the first time we sifted through them, but my mom alluded to the fact of them being useful if I ever wrote a book. In all honesty, I couldn’t imagine writing a love story about my grandparent figures, but I tucked the thought away just in case. 

When I finally came around to the idea, I strategized how I could implement the love letters. I didn’t pull them out and read them, however, until I approached that part of the plot. After years of build-up, I can’t say the letters lived up to my dreamy imaginings. They were written in the month leading up to their marriage, and Roy primarily discussed the preparations he was making for her when she moved in. 

The sweet way he spoke gave me insight into how he talked, and I used a few of his phrases and subjects he mentioned. Still, they didn’t offer anything too swoon-worthy that I could latch onto for my tale. If he were here right now, he’d probably tell me, “I didn’t write them for you!”

Shortly before I finished my first draft, I uncovered the gem I’d been seeking. Amidst everyday matters, he penned, “Love comes from way down deep and never dies if it’s really there.” I’ll never know why he said that—maybe they’d had a lovers’ quarrel—but the beautiful line resonated with me and shaped a critical part of the story.    

Attesting to the truth in his words, I continue to cherish them decades after they passed, and this book is the culmination of that. For those who read it, I hope you’ll see their unforgettable wit and the precious love that bond them.

Blurb:

Could a mortifying day on the job end up netting you true love?

When switchboard operator Mabel Jennings reports to work on a Monday in the summer of 1964, she doesn’t have any interest in finding love again. Out-of-towner Roy Stentz rings up her station, however, and makes her reconsider.  Mabel’s intrigued by his deep yet kind voice, but she endeavors to remain professional. Her attraction frazzles her mind, causing her to transfer Roy to the wrong line. When he calls back to give her another try, she repeats the mistake, humiliating herself. 

The haphazard introduction sets an unexpected romance into motion. Though she falls quickly for him, Mabel's bittersweet past refrains her from giving Roy her full devotion. Can she overcome her memories of love lost to embrace the new one calling out to her?

Excerpt: 

When the motel lit up a third time, she dropped the preamble. “I’m sorry, Mr. Stentz. I’ll get it right this time.”

“No problem, but now that I think about it, you can give me the number, anyhow. That way, I won’t have to trouble you if I need to make another call during my stay.”

She did her best to conceal her humiliation while she recited it. She didn’t cry often, but to her alarm, a tear traced down her cheek. With him living out of the state, they probably would never cross paths, but discouragement washed over her. She blew her chance, if she had one to blow in the first place.

“Thank you, miss.” His chivalry didn’t crack, a sign of what a nice fellow he must be, given what she put him through. “Since I have you again, I wanted to ask if you’d like to go to dinner with me tonight? I was hoping someone could show me the sights before I head north. Plus, I’d like to find out if you’re a better date than you are an operator.”

Buy Links: 

The Wild Rose Press | Amazon | Barnes & Noble |Books-a-Million  

Author Bio:

Karina Bartow grew up and still lives in Northern Ohio.  Though born with Cerebral Palsy, she’s never allowed her disability to define her.  Rather, she’s used her experiences to breathe life into characters who have physical limitations, but like her, are determined not to let them stand in the way of the life they want.  Her works include Husband in Hiding, Forgetting My Way Back to You, and Brother of Interest.  She may only be able to type with one hand, but she writes with her whole heart!

Social media: 

Website | Blog | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Goodreads 

No comments:

Post a Comment