Monday, November 22, 2010

Winter Pursuits


Lou in full winter gear

Winter has hit with a vengeance. The thing I hate most about winter, aside from the cold, the dark, and the never-ending shovelling, is how hard everything becomes. Driving is more difficult, and schlepping through the snow on foot can be tricky. Even walking the dog is more difficult. Some days, it takes longer to get myself and Lou dressed than to actually walk. Lou is not happy about putting on her winter boots. In fact, she pretends to be very hard done by, and practically rolls her eyes at me. But once she has her boots on, she can trot comfortably through the ice and snow.
On the upside, winter is a great time to snuggle up with a good book. I lucked out at my local bookstore the other day and hit a sale on romance novels. I bought six books for less the regular price of one new book. Score!
I’m making a conscious effort to not only read more in the next year, but to also read some authors I haven’t tried before. I love reading, but in the last couple of years I seem to have pushed it to the back of my to-do list. But no more. My early New Year’s resolution is to read at least two books a month. So with my recent purchases I’ve got half a year’s supply.
Four of the books I purchased were by favourite authors Mary Balogh, Susan Mallery, Jennifer Crusie and C.J. Carmichael. Luckily, I was also able to pick up a couple of books from two authors I haven’t read before. I’ve been wanting to read something by Christine Rimmer ever since she was a guest blogger at  Prairie Chicks, and now I finally have my chance. “Christmas at Bravo Ridge” will be the first of my new stash to be read. The other new-to-me author is Kristan Higgins. I’m looking forward to reading “The Next Best Thing”.
Do you hate winter, or are you one of those strange people who actually enjoys snow and ice? And what are you reading this winter? Have you tried any new-to-you authors lately?

6 comments:

  1. Too funny - after my posts last week on reading and Top Ten Lists, I decided that I wasn't reading enough and have made a resolution to read more. Great minds...

    Let me know about Higgins - I've been wanting to read that book for a while.

    Just finished Sophie Kinsella (of Shopoholic fame). Twenties Girl was very good. And I'm into Niffenegger's (of Time Traveler's Wife fame) second book Her Fearful Symmetry.

    Oh, and I hate winter - why do you think we moved down east. You guys are getting some nasty cold - we're at zero and they're calling for rain. Love Lou in her winter gear - too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels like winter arrived in the blink of an eye this year. BURR! I finally picked up a Sherry Thomas book after she blogged with The Chicks! Really like her style and her voice. Good luck with you're reading goals!

    Lou is looking very sharp, all dressed up for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet,
    Great minds indeed! I really feel like I need to do more reading; I haven't been keeping up lately. I heard about "Twenties Girl". I think I read a review and thought the premise was very interesting. Do I have it right; a modern woman is haunted by the ghost of a woman from the Twenties? I like the whole paranormal, time-travel element. That would be one I'd be interested in reading too.

    I've heard the "Time Traveller's Wife" is amazing. I'd like to read that one too. So many books, so little time.

    I'll let you know what I think of the Kristen Higgins book.

    I'm not sure I'd be crazy about the rain you're getting, but on the other hand, at least you don't have to shovel it!

    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karyn,
    Yes, winter hit very suddenly this year, or at least it felt that way. Like you said, Brrrr!

    Lou looks very cute, but she hates this outfit. I can't say I'm crazy about getting her all dressed up because it takes so long and she doesn't exactly cooperate.

    I've heard really good things about Sherry Thomas too. I really need to try one of her books too.
    Jana

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jana,
    Your poochie is so cute! I can't say I like winter, but I am getting used to it (again!).

    I am reading "The Hunger Games" right now, and it is so addictive! I've been trying to read adult paranormal lately, but I'd heard so many good things about this one I had to go back to YA. It is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm starting to get used to winter again, too. Sadly.

    Hayley was telling us about "The Hunger Games" at the fall retreat and it sounded fascinating. I know it's YA but I'd really like to read it too. "The Hunger Games" is actually part of a series. I saw these books in the Indigo Christmas catalogue.

    Thanks Joanne. I think my poochie is pretty cute, too!
    Jana

    ReplyDelete