Monday, November 15, 2010

Family Reunion

Cenotaph at Toronto's Old City Hall

I'm back from my mini-holiday in Toronto. It was wonderful to spend time with our oldest daughter and to get to know her boyfriend, who I've only met once before, a little better. I enjoyed being together as a family. With daughter number one living in Toronto now, the four of us don't get to do that too often anymore.

Since the last time we were in Toronto in June, our daughter has gotten a new full-time job and a new apartment. Unfortunately, it's just a one-bedroom apartment which meant that hubby and I slept on an air mattress in the living room. Ughhh! My aching back! I’ve never been so glad to see my bed in all my life.

But despite the less than stellar sleep, I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. We got to see a bit of the city and do a little shopping, mostly stuff for our daughter. We also got to see my husband’s nephew and his family for a wonderful visit and a fabulous meal. It happened to be my husband’s birthday so we were treated to a to-die-for chocolate birthday cake.  Our extended family is quite spread out, so we don’t get to see our nephew’s family often enough either. It was a real family weekend.

The weather was fabulous for mid-November, and we did a lot a walking, busing, and subway riding. November 11th was Remembrance Day, and shortly before 11 am, we were on a bus on our way downtown, when the driver asked for a moment of silence to remember our fallen solders. I thought it was a lovely gesture. Unfortunately, we just missed the big Remembrance Day ceremony at Toronto’s old City Hall, but we got to pay our respects at the cenotaph after the services.

Dundas Square, Toronto

I’ve never been to downtown Toronto before, so it was all new to me. Lots of things to see, lots of people on the streets. I have to admit it’s a bit overwhelming. Big city living is exciting, but I’ll stick with life in the slow lane, thank you very much.

So now I’m back home and ready to continue revisions on my current manuscript. Or at least I will be after work. Or maybe after Pilates class. Maybe tomorrow.

I want to submit my current WIP before the deadline for submission on December 31. But so far I haven’t been able to fire myself up and get into the right headspace to do the necessary revisions.  I haven’t exactly figured out why. I’ll be exploring my lack of motivation in posts to come.

Do you have anything, writing or otherwise, that you’ve been putting off? Have you had a chance to go on any mini-holidays lately?


  1. So glad you had a good time in TO, Jana! I've been there a couple of times and love the downtown - but only for a visit. Like you, I'm much happier in the slow lane :)

    I'd say 'get to those revisions, girl', but you might need the Pilates after sleeping on an air mattress. So, after the class - 'get to those revisions'.

    Seems there's a lull in everyone's Muse these days. The blogosphere is filled with posts about lack of motivation and wordcount. I look forward to reading more about your tips on getting back in the chair :)

  2. Hi Janet,
    Yes, the Pilates class helped to work out some of the kinks. My back feels much better.

    I'm not sure I have any tips about getting back in the chair. I'm going to have to do some serious talking to myself I think.

    Hopefully this malais affecting so many of us writers will end soon.


  3. After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don't believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: or call him +2349055637784 you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS'