Monday, November 16, 2015

Louise Lyndon joins me for an interview!

It's Monday but I'm pretending it's Interview Friday. I'm thrilled to have Louise Lyndon join me today to talk about writing and her newest release. Help me welcome Louise to my blog!

Why did you choose this genre?

The genre, medieval, chose me! Or, at the very least, the characters chose it for me. Of Love and Betrayal is the follow up to Of Love and Vengeance, and when I started off writing Vengeance I had the character of Aymon in my head and I saw him as a big, muscled dude (a warrior) wielding a sword. So, he picked the genre for me!

What was the most difficult thing about writing this book?

There is a lot of torture in this book – you don’t actually see any of it, but it’s mentioned. While I enjoyed reading about medieval torture (yes, I’m odd like that) I found it hard to inflict what I’d learned on to my character. She’s real to me!

Do you work on more than one book at a time?

I would love to be able to do this, but I just can’t, especially if I’m writing different time periods. I find I can only work on one project at a time or else I get confused and I lose my focus. However, that doesn’t stop me from planning other stories in my head while I’m working on something else!

When were you first published and how did that happen? Was it a long or short journey?

For a long while I called myself a writer but I hadn’t written anything for years. So, I felt like a bit of a fraud. Then, I turned the big four oh (40) and I thought to myself that I had to pull my finger out and take this writing thing seriously. I entered a competition, The Crested Butte Sandy Writing Contest, and won. The judge requested the manuscript and I happily sent it off. And then heard nothing after the acknowledgement email. So, I decided I would send it off to other publishers, and that’s what I did. By the time I turned 41 I was published. By the time I turned 42 I had sold my second novel. If the pattern continues I should be selling my next novel in the coming months!

I know how you felt. When I turned 45 I said I wasn't getting younger, and if I was going to get published, I had to get serious. How did you get started writing romance?

I remember picking up my first romance, I think it was a Mills and Boon book, I can’t remember the title, when I was about fifteen. And I was hooked. I remember I would go to Target and buy all the titles available and consume them in a matter of days. Then, I moved on to single titles (stand alones) and devoured them. I knew I always wanted to write romance – because who wouldn’t want to? Two people meet, they shouldn’t/can’t be together, they overcome internal/external conflict, -the journey to the happily ever after is the best part – for a reader and a writer.

Do you write in the same place every day or do you like to change it up?

I’m a creature of habit. And I’m still trying to decide if that is a good or bad thing! I don’t have a dedicated writing space. I usually sit crossed legged on the couch, with my laptop propped on a pillow!

Do you have another occupation, other than writer? If so, what is it? Does it help you with your writing?

Yes, I have a day job. I work at a regulatory agency. And does it help with my writing? Only when I find myself in very long meetings and my mind wanders to my characters and what they might be up to! Plus, it pays the bills until I can make enough money from writing!

Paying the bills is important, Louise! If you could get rid of something in your life that would give you more writing time, what would it be? 

The day job! But only if I was able to make the same (preferably more) money each month from writing. I enjoy my day job, but I love writing. I often think that my job is such a waste of time and that I could be at home writing for 8 hours a day.

Name two authors we might find you reading when taking a break from your own writing.

Diana Gabaldon and Jodi Piccoult. 

What are two (or more) of your all-time favorite books in any genre?

The Hungry Little Caterpillar.
April Fools Day (written by Australian author, Bryce Courtney)
The Time Traveler’s Wife.

What do you like best about your hero Troy de Gysborne from OF LOVE AND BETRAYAL? 

He has a strong moral code and he lives by that. 

What do you like best about your heroine Aveline de Bondevill from OF LOVE AND BETRAL

She doesn’t need a man to protect her, and she’s vocal about that. She’s intelligent and resourceful.

Tell us a little about your current work in progress.

It’s a contemporary romance. It has suspense. Murder. Danger. A hunky hero and a kick butt heroine!

A contemporary! That's great! What’s your tagline for OF LOVE AND BETRAYAL? 

She’s wanted for murder. He’s the man to save her.

If I was a first time reader of your books, which one would you recommend I start with and why?

You could start with either Of Love and Vengeance, or, Of Love and Betrayal. They’re both written as stand alones while being part of the series. However, Betrayal is written some 50 years after the ending of the first book and features the grandson of the hero and heroine from the first book. So, if you want to read the story that started it all, I’d start with Of Love and Vengeance, and then read Of Love and Betrayal.

Tell us about your current and latest releases.

My current release is called – Of Love and Vengeance and is the story that started it all! Here’s the blurb…

Forced to marry Lord Aymon to ensure her young nephews survival, English Lady Laila vows undying hatred for the Norman she holds responsible for the deaths of so many innocents. Discovering Aymon has committed an act of treason gives her the chance to seek vengeance he deserves.  But can Laila let Aymon die at the hands of the king once she learns the truth?

A hardened Norman warrior, Lord Aymon has lived through atrocities no man ever should. With the invasion of England over, all he wants is a quiet life and a wife who will give him heirs and obey his every command. Instead, he finds himself wed to feisty and outspoken Laila. But when she learns the truth of his treasonous act, can Aymon count on her to keep his secret?

The blurb for my new release:

Aveline de Bondeville is on the run. Determined to keep out of the hands of the cruel Raimbaut de Blois she will do whatever it takes to stay alive. And so when she finds herself in the company of Troy de Gysborne she must quickly decide if she can trust him. But can she confess to murder knowing it would mean her certain death?

Troy de Gysborne did the unthinkable; he tore the bonds of brotherhood and left a path of destruction in his wake. And now Troy must face those he betrayed, including the father who long ago renounced him. But to confess to the crime he committed will cost him everything. Including Aveline. But can he remain silent if it means losing the woman he loves?

Excerpt:
Aveline’s scream burned her throat; she tasted blood. Eudes staggered forward, his eyes wide. He looked at her as he fell to his knees and then slumped forward. Bright red blood rushed from his wound and pooled on the ground. She looked at Raimbaut.

“This time you shall not escape.”

She picked up her skirts and ran headlong into the forest and did not slow her speed as branches slapped her in the face and tore at her arms. The ground beneath her feet was icy and uneven. She risked a glance over her shoulder and did not stop even though Raimbaut was nowhere to be seen. He may not have been behind her, but it did not mean he was not stalking her.

Sweat trickled down her face and burned her eyes. Her heart pumped, her lungs gasped for air. She came to a skidding stop and looked wildly around. Should she keep running straight, go left or right, or make her way back to Gysborne? She turned in a circle and shoved her hair from her eyes.

A twig snapped behind her. She stilled and held her breath. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a blur rush by. Was it an animal? Was it Raimbaut?

She ignored the pain in her chest and her sudden need to loosen her bladder. But she could not ignore her trembling. She clutched her arms to her chest. A sour taste flooded her mouth as she did not see how she would be lucky enough a second time to escape from Raimbaut.


AUTHOR BIO:

Louise grew up in Victoria, Australia, before moving to England, where for sixteen years she soaked up the vibrancy of London and the medieval history of England. She has since returned to Australia and now lives in Melbourne.

In 2013, Louise won first prize in the historical romance category of the Crested Butte Sandy Writing Contest for her story, The Promise, which has since been retitled and is now known as, Of Love and Vengeance.

When not writing, Louise can be found covered in mud, crawling under barbed wire and hoisting herself over twelve foot walls!





How can readers reach you or find you online?

PINTEREST: llyndon3513

BUY LINKS: 

Amazon US: http://tinyurl.com/ocqp4th
Amazon UK: http://tinyurl.com/qzekwqy
Kobo: http://tinyurl.com/o65utet
Nook: http://tinyurl.com/odqg2ox
iBooks: http://tinyurl.com/odvzs9e

No comments:

Post a Comment