Tuesday, October 2, 2018

An Interview with author Leslie Scott

I'm welcoming back Leslie Scott and her novella from The Wild Rose Press, TWO HEARTS ONE STONE. She answered a few of my interview questions. If you haven't read my review, check it out here. 



Why did you choose this genre?

Because, in truth, it’s really hard to say no to a sexy cowboy. This one, wanted his story told. Who was I to deny him?

What was the most difficult thing about writing this book?

Writing so short. I’d never written a novella before. My other completed novels are eighty thousand words, plus. Keeping the story concise and on point was a challenge, but a really fun challenge.

Do you have any unusual writing habits?

I don’t know if you’d call them unusual. I work late into the night, mostly because no one is awake, I get more accomplished when the house is quiet. I also tend to work on multiple projects at a time. Right now I’m writing a paranormal suspense novel for an editor that liked a proposal I sent in. At the same time I’m outlining, longhand, a second novel in a romantic suspense series I have in the docket. 

What do you want readers to come away with after they read TWO HEARTS ONE STONE?

I want readers to feel good, to have several hours of escape into Stone and Emmy’s world—live vicariously through my characters and their story so that whatever thing is bothering them—the reader—, doesn’t matter for a while. 

Are you a plotter or a pantser?

I’m a both-er. One of the novels I’m working on I’m completely pantsing. But because I’m pantsing it, I’m outlining the next one I’m working on. I have ideas and thoughts about both. For one, they go automatically in the novel (me writing, so pantsing)and for the other, the cliff notes go in my story outline notebook. 

How many books do you have under the proverbial bed? Will they ever see the light of day?

I have a whiteboard in my office where I keep a running track of all my projects. I have six currently in some level of development (one about to have a release date, one about to be submitted, one revising with editor notes… etc.). Six with partial outlines started. And four that are fully outline just waiting on me to have time to write them. This is not counting the running list of book/story ideas I keep updating constantly. Currently that leaves sixteen under the proverbial bed plus however many else I come up with from that long list of ideas. Certainly enough to keep me busy for a few years.

Tell us a bit about you. Where do you live, and how long have you been writing?

Well, I live in northern Alabama. And before you think “wow, hicks”… keep in mind that Huntsville, Alabama (where I was born and raised) is the heart and soul of space exploration. We are The Rocket City. It’s an engineering stronghold, so I’ve grown up surrounded by people from all walks of life in a very intelligent part of the world.  Everywhere you go you meet an engineer and our universities are top notch. Not to mention the military installations here. All in all it’s a wonderful place to live and grow. Except… it’s super hot in the summer. Air you can wear, hot. 

As for writing I have been writing my entire life, winning contests as far back as like third grade. But only actively pursuing a career as an author for a few years now. 

If writing is your first passion, what is your second?

Writing is actually my second passion. The first being my family. Which is made up of Mr. Scott (tell me you said that like Captain Kirk, because I do all the time), my mother—she’s my best friend and Mr. Scott is lovely to her, one reason I adore him so, and my eleven year old son. I homeschool my son during the day, while writing. So, my life is basically books all the time in one way or another. 

Do you have any pets? Are you cat person or a dog person? Or are you into totally different pets, like goldfish? What do you like best about your pet?

We are a family of animal rescuers. My eleven year old actually helps me foster kittens for a local rescue organization. Of those kittens we’ve only had two foster fails (a silver tabby named Asher and a black kitty named Salem). Currently we have four cats, two dogs, and a cow-pig. Yes, you read that right. A cow-pig. Carry on to the next question for an explanation of such things. 

Share a photo of your writing space, your pet, a favorite book, or something else that’s important to you.



Here is a picture of the cow-pig. Her name is Lotus and there is a story to how she came to be with us that I will briefly share. I told my son he could not have a googly eyed dog unless he found one at rescue. He was very specific in his desire for googly-eyedness. Only a Boston Terrier, a French Bulldog, or a Pug would do. As a rescuer and volunteer—I don’t buy from breeders. There are too many animals at our local shelters for me to do that. I told him that if he wanted one, he’d have to watch the shelters. Sure enough, that next weekend our sweet Lotus was on the front page of the website of the organization I foster for (http://anewleash.org/, you can visit their website to see all the great work they do for animals in North Alabama). We go to their adoption event, he meets her, they are instantly bonded. He says to me “I found my googly-eyed Boston Terrier.” She sneezed. Snorted. Then grunted a grunt to end all grunts. I replied with, “Nope, you found a cow-pig.” Thus, we have a cow-pig. 

What did you want to be (occupation-wise) when you were a child?

Shocker………………………a writer. 

What do you like best about your hero in TWO HEARTS ONE STONE? 

That he’s a lady’s man, a bad boy, but at the end of the day… he’s a good man who will do his best to do the right thing. 

What do you like best about your heroine, Emmy?

She’s incredibly smart, capable, and independent. But not in such a way that she comes across as callous or cold. She’s still has insecurities, just like the rest of us.

How do you choose the names and physical characteristics of your characters? Do you base them on real people?

Stone just came to me… though his last name is the last name of my first kiss. 
Emmy…I actually know a little girl with the same name. Which I fell in love with it.
The physical characteristics of both characters just sort of happen as I wrote this book. It wasn’t until the end I realized I’d written my first “red-head” heroine. 

How can readers reach you or find you online?

Website:  http://lesliescottromance.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lesliescottwrites/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/leslieSwrites
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/lesliescottwrites/
Youtube Playlists: http://bit.ly/2O6IDea

Tell us a little about your current work in progress.

Oh my. Well, I have four that I am working on in full. One is a paranormal suspense that will be a series following the lives and loves of a coven of powerful witches. The other is a romantic suspense, friends to lovers story about a K9 Deputy and his best friend. Then I have my western Romeo/Juliet retelling (because a cowboy version of Romeo, how can I say no?).And last, the third book in my Arkadia Fast series. By far, my most challenging heroine to write, maybe because she’s as sassy and hard headed as I am?

What’s your tagline? Why did you choose it?

Currently, it’s Romance With a Shot of Nitrous because my first novel/series is centered around drag racing. Also because “Writes All The Romance” isn’t really catchy?

If I was a first time reader of your books, which one would you recommend I start with and why?

Currently I only have the two released (Two Hearts, One Stone and The Finish Line) … start with either, as I hope you’ll love both. 

Tell us about your current release.

Two Hearts, One Stone is the first time I get to put my first love on display. In that, growing up I was a cowgirl. I dreamed of my own horse, read all the books about horses, rode horses, and ended up working my way through college—at horse farms. Getting to rehash that knowledge, go back and relive the happy memories coated with the scent of a horse barn, was amazing. Also, if you read Stone, I hope you enjoy meeting Tink—he always was my favorite horse. 

Blurb, TWO HEARTS ONE STONE: 

Horse trainer Stone Dempsey’s life is all about the ride—with horses and women. He uses his equine talents to impress the country club set and earn money for Smoky Mountain Reining Horses. When his drug-addicted sister deposits her sick baby on his doorstep, he’s suddenly saddled with real responsibility. 

Dr. Emmersyn Cole’s goal of starting a practice in her favorite place on earth is finally coming to fruition and she is not going to be sidetracked. Everything is going great until Stone swaggers into her life, half-dressed with a smile that could melt her insides. She's determined to keep her distance…until he rushes into her grandfather’s home, clutching a feverish baby, terrified and vulnerable, and her heart’s hard shell begins to crack.

In only a few short weeks, Stone’s wayward heart suddenly relies on two women—one who needs him—and one that he might not be able to live without. 

Excerpt:

His upper lip curled into a snarl, but it did little to dampen her flourishing attraction. She took a step forward and sucked her bottom lip between her teeth. Ready to do just about anything to wipe the forlorn look from his face.

That’s how he does it.

Without even trying, he’d reined her in like his horses. She stood closer, at ease, and far too eager to please him. When she lifted her gaze to his, the slow burn of tension-laced desire beckoned her.

“Oh no you don’t.” Emmy took two dramatic steps backward.

His laugh in response wrought a heat in her cheeks. Annoyed with her behavior, she fisted her hands on her hips and spun away. She was an intelligent, highly educated, independent woman. Absolutely not the sort to get sucked into the Stone Dempsey tractor beam of sex and debauchery. 

She only managed half the length of the barn when, abruptly, he stopped laughing.

“Emmersyn.”

Had the sound of her name ever held such a heated promise?

Buy Links:


Leslie Scott Biography:


Leslie spends most days attempting to wrangle the voices in her head and often wishes she could clone herself so that their stories get told faster. She loves words, romance, and characters that feel like family and spends almost all of her free time with her own family; including a boisterous eleven year old that she homeschools and an assorted cast of rescue pets. She lives her own happily ever after with her soul mate and best friend in the northern part of Alabama and hopes you enjoy reading her stories as much as she enjoys writing them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment