Friday, December 7, 2018

Amber Daulton and the Owners of her Heart


Like many of us, Amber Daulton loves her furbabies. I'm happy to introduce you to her cats and Amber's love for them. Take it away, Amber!


The Owners of My Heart


I’m a cat person. There. I admitted it.

I adore kitties of all kinds, from tigers and lions to housecats, and I’ve turned my dog-lover of a husband to the dark side years ago. Greg and I have four cats, which to him is plenty, but I want more. Unfortunately, I don’t think my babies—Anastasia, Darby, Pepper, and Stormy—would appreciate or even allow more cats in the household. After all, Greg and I just clean the place and pay the bills; the cats own the house. And yes, they own my heart as well.

Anastasia is a seven-year-old calico, and the queen of the house. All the other cats love her and follow her around. Ana often ignores her siblings as she rules her queendom from her lofty perch, and she probably wishes she was the only cat in the household. I have a sneaky suspicion she would be lonely if that was true, but Ana would certainly disagree.

Darby is the only male cat in the home. Most people think he would try and dethrone Ana, but he’s completely happy groveling at her paws. He’s six years old with the blackest coat I’ve ever seen on a cat, but lately his old age is starting to show (and he’s still so young!). A few white hairs have sprung up on his back and in his ears. His rear claws cannot retract, so if I haven’t cut his nails in a while, I always know when Darby is getting ready to enter the room because his nails are clicking on the floor. 


Pepper is six years old, a few months younger than Darby. Her coat is all shades of black and brown in a brindled tortoiseshell pattern. She’s full of attitude and sometimes smacks at my leg as I’m walking past her. Even though I think Pepper is so cute when her belly waddles—the poor baby has a weight problem—I’ve put her on a diet, and she’s not too happy about it. Her tummy is buttery soft, and I hope it will stay that way once she loses a little weight.

Stormy is a little witch, and I say that with love. She’s five years old and is small for her age, but she acts like she’s only six months. Her favorite activity is tormenting her big brother. She rarely goes outside due to a fear of open spaces, and she always hides under the bed when Greg and I are leaving home for the day, because she thinks we’re going to throw her out. (Her siblings, by the way, love the outdoors!) Stormy is gray, hence her name, with streaks of cream in her fur that was closer to pink when she was a kitten.

Just in case you’re wondering, there’s a difference between calico and tortoiseshell coat patterns. To keep it simple, calicos have a lot of white and at least two colors, usually orange and shades of black. Torties are the opposite with lots of black and various brindled shades of red and brown.

I could go on for several more paragraphs about how adorable my cats, but I don’t want to layer the sugar on too thick. 

Please comment about your furbabies! I’d love to hear about them.
Thanks for reading!


Blurb, ARRESTING MASON: 


Once you’re in a prison gang, you’re in it for life. That’s what Mason Harding thought until the boss accepted his resignation. After the State releases him on parole, a sexy divorcĂ©e behind the wheel of a car almost ends his life quicker than a shank. His chance encounter with Mia Eddison results in a night of passion, but her brother—his parole officer—catches them together and doesn’t approve.

Mia falls hard for the cocky ex-con, but not because of his chiseled body. She vows to break through his walls and discover his secrets, but never expects those secrets to threaten her life. 

When members of an organized crime ring kidnap Mia to force Mason’s return to the gang, he goes up against an old friend to save the woman he loves. Will his sacrifice be enough or will everything fall apart in a blaze of gunfire?



Excerpt:

“Which one is your car?” She glanced around the crowded parking lot. A few streetlights pushed back the darkness and shadows. The restaurant served customers until midnight on the weekends, but no one loitered in the lot, at least from what Mia could see.

“Don’t have one at the moment.” Mason hooked his thumbs in the belt loops of his jeans. “I took the bus. It stopped a few blocks from here.”

“Would you like a ride?” She pulled the car keys from her purse. “I feel a little ridiculous we met here tonight. I just wasn’t sure if you were some kind of freak.”

His eyebrow lifted, and he closed the distance between them as a tiger would zero in on its mate. A sexy, masculine smile curled his lips. “Have you made up your mind yet?”

“I’ll let you know in the morning.” Desire trickled down her spine. Mia nodded toward the passenger side of the car for him to hop in.

He confiscated her keys instead to unlock and open the driver’s side door for her like a gentleman. Then he leaned closer and nuzzled her temple with his nose.

Not sure if he planned to seduce her in the parking lot or if he merely wanted to tease her, Mia pressed her hand to his chest and tried to think straight. “You’re the first guy I’ve gone on a date with since my divorce. I haven’t slept with anyone since Evan.”

He tunneled his fingers through her wavy, chestnut-brown hair. “I haven’t dated anyone in a long time either. We’ll take it slow or fast, whatever you want, but I promise you one thing. After I’m done with you, you won’t even remember that bastard’s name.”

Oh, God. She almost melted right then and there. “Fast. I want you, Mason.”

“Take me to your place and you can have me.”


Buy Links, ARRESTING MASON:

Barnes and Noble – https://bit.ly/2uOj90J
Google Play – https://bit.ly/2Izu3cZ
The Wild Rose Press store – http://bit.ly/2FSVvBa

Buy Links for Audio:


About Amber Daulton:



Amber Daulton is the author of the romantic-suspense series Arresting Onyx and several standalone novellas. Her books are published through The Wild Rose Press and Books to Go Now, and are available in ebook, print on demand, audio, and foreign language formats. 

Amber lives in North Carolina with her husband and four demanding cats. Feel free to visit her at http://www.amberdaultonauthor.blogspot.com

Social Media Links:

Facebook Author Page – www.facebook.com/amber.daulton.author
Amazon Author Page – http://amzn.to/14JoZff




6 comments:

  1. They sound adorable! We're dog people and have a rescue dog around 9 years old--black lab mix. Like your cats, she rules the house. Best of luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! I love dogs, too, but there's just something about cats that I'm a sucker for. If I do get a dog, I want either a lab or a golden retriever. I bet your rescue baby is adorable!

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed your post. I'm also a cat lover. We have four right now, not counting my daughter's cat who is living with us (as our daughter is) temporarily. The previous five did OK, but that's because Nikki was very elderly (she died recently at 19 1/2 years) and everyone else ignored her. Since Velvet, my daughter's cat arrived it has been a bit tense. We have a tortie, Badger, who is a total diva. A tuxedo, my darling Benjamin the bunny-killer, who is fine if he can go outside and kill things, but a bit cranky in the winter. Gracie, a long-haired, wild thing tiger-striped one-year-old, and Angel, a beautiful champagne-colored Maine Coon who no one messes with and who is very easy-going except for being food obsessed. We also have a dog, a supposedly miniature Australian Shepherd who weighs over 50 pounds. He's a very sweet dog, and long-suffering when it comes to the cats. Yes, my cats run the household, too.

    Best wishes on your book and thanks for the fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary!
      I'm sorry to hear about Nikki, but at least she lived to a good, ripe age.
      I love the name Velvet. Badger sounds just like my tortie, Pepper. Total divas! Darby is just like your Benjamin. He loves going outside to chase things, and he gets so mad during the winter and on rainy days when he can't go out. He has a bad habit of peeing in the kitchen when he's upset. So frustrating...
      Gracie and Angel sound so beautiful. I used to have Maine Coon about ten years ago. Mulan was black and white like a cow with long fur. Gosh, she was gorgeous, and I miss her like crazy. I think a neighbor put out antifreeze, and it was too late to help Mulan after she got sick. Still makes me mad when I think about it.
      Australian Shepherds are great dogs and soooo pretty. I swear, I want a dog, but I just don't think the cats would approve. :(
      Thanks so much for posting!!

      Delete
  3. Loved your post! I do like cats, but I'm one of those rare persons who like dogs as well. Bet on your book!

    ReplyDelete