Friday, August 26, 2016

Getting to know author Sylvia Hubbard

I'm happy to welcome Sylvia Hubbard to Journeys with Jana for an interview. Let's find out more about this talented romantic suspense author, shall we?

Where did you get the idea for your new novel, Tanner's Devil

I was researching another novel and came across street doctors and loved that I could put a woman in the place of a “profession” little knew about, but with a past. I loved the tainted imperfect woman kind of story that was not looking for love but found the most perfect man for her. Combining her past, with this story line, I created Tanner’s Devil.



Why did you choose this genre?

I’ve always loved the romance suspense genre since I was in my twenties. When I was young, I fell in love with romance the moment I stole a Johanna Lindsay book from the library (which I later replaced when I was in my thirties because I didn’t want to go to hell). Yet, I didn’t want just a straight romance. Growing up in Detroit, I never saw a straight romance in real life and because of what I know being an urban girl, going romance suspense was the only way to go.

Was there anything unusual, any anecdote about this book you’d like to share?

Love is never perfect, but it’s the imperfect people who try to fall in love make love perfect.

What was the most difficult thing about writing this book?

Making Devlin face his past as well. He’d been put on a pedestal by everyone and as his life is falling apart, he comes to realize maybe everything he’s meant to believe even about himself  is not true. He needs Tanner’s voice as much as he needs her love to see the truth.

Do you have any unusual writing habits?

I hand write my stories before I type them. I’ve used electrical pens to keep track of my writing because I kept losing pieces of paper. I also must have it loud and not quiet, like some writers. Due to the fact that I am a single mom and I needed the noise the kids made to make sure they weren’t hurt, now that they are grown, I continue to need a lot of noise outside of my head in order to hear the quiet voice of storytelling in my head.

What do you want readers to come away with after they read your book?

Imperfect people need love too.

What genre have you never written that you’d like to write?

I’ve love to write sci-fi and hope to do a three part book on YA Sci-Fi with a religious twist called The Trinity soon. I want to incorporate faith, fallacy and fiction for those who have forgotten about mercy.

Do you have any words of advice to beginning writers?

Never stop; Even when times get hard, even when life is throwing everything at you that you could never imagine, don’t stop believing in your dreams of becoming a published writer.

Are you a plotter or a pantser?

I’m definitely a pantser. I can’t write an outlines because I’ll never finish writing the whole story. Just looking at a blank piece of paper, gets my juices running and I’ll just start writing.

How many books do you have under the proverbial bed? Will they ever see the light of day?

Ten actually. Six I started outlining and never finished, which is why I know I’m a pantser and four are just synopses that have a full story lines that I just need to sit my butt down, push past the fear of disappointing my readers and just get it done.

What’s one thing that your readers would be surprised to learn about you?

Readers would be surprised that I have no idea how a story ends until I write it. I never let myself know the ending until it’s time to get’er done. I love the tension, passion and fun of learning things out like it’s brand new – pushing those feelings on the page for the readers to feel as well.

What’s your favorite time management tip?

Write everything down. It’s the worst thing a writer doesn’t do and I’ve learned I need to do this even more as I grow as a writer.

I couldn't agree more, Sylvia. I forget everything unless I write it down. What’s your favorite thing about being a writer?

I’m not alone for listening to the voices in my head and that readers love reading the stories I have insanely come up.

Tell us a bit about you. Where do you live, and how long have you been writing?

I live, work and love Detroit, Michigan. According to my mother, since I was six I used to tell lies to her all the time. After whooping me within an inch of my life, as a further punishment I had to write the lie down and then come back and retell her the lie so I could be embarrassed. My pain turned into my passion and I stopped lying (which now I have very little friends), but I write down my lies all the time (and get paid for it.) Thanks Momma.

If you could get rid of something in your life that would give you more writing time, what would it be?

Facebook. I think you could agree.

Probably. What genre is your favorite to read?

The same genre I write. Like I said I don’t believe just romance happens when someone falls in love. Dealing with drama and suspense while falling in love is so much more exciting.

What are your hobbies away from the computer?

Reading and researching for my next book and Netflixing by myself.

If money were not an object, where would you most like to live? Why?

I’d still live in Detroit, buy a larger house with a couple of vacant lots and proclaim it the HubVillage where my family and friends can come like a retreat to relax. I love this city.

How can readers reach you or find you online?

www.facebook.com/sylviahubbard
www.twitter.com/sylviahubbard1
www.instagram.com/sylviahubbard1
www.youtube.com/sylviahubbard1
www.periscope.tv/sylviahubbard1
www.snapchat.com/sylviahubbard


Tell us a little about your current work in progress.

Beautiful asks the question what would you be willing to do to be beautiful? A young promising innocent researcher vying for the love of her father meets two men who will do anything to prove she is more beautiful than she realizes. I’m live storytelling this book on my blog at www.sylviahubbard.com/beautiful


If I was a first time reader of your books, which one would you recommend I start with and why?



I would start with Mistaken Identity Part One. It’s a standalone novel that will certainly help you break the barriers of what you’re used to reading and draw you into my world, while making you hungry for more.

Thanks for visiting with me, Sylvia!

Author Bio:



Sylvia Hubbard knew she’d wanted to be a writer of romance long before she knew there were black writers in the world. Weaving stories magically as a summer past time to writing stories to get through the humdrum of school, she was able to create something from nothing.


Today, she has independently published over 30 books, is the founder of Motown Writers Network and The Michigan Literary Network, CEO of HubBooks Literary Services, runs over five blogs on a variety of subjects, hosts The Michigan Literary Network Radio Show and is a happily divorced mother of three children in Detroit, Michigan.

2 comments: